Need to repair teeth?
We Offer Dental Crowns in Irvine, CA
Dental crowns are a cornerstone of restorative dentistry, offering both functional and aesthetic benefits. Below our dentist, Dr. Conor Perrin, delves into what dental crowns are, why they might be needed, and highlights our commitment to better and more minimally invasive/biomimetic options.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a custom-made cap placed over a tooth. It’s designed to restore the tooth’s shape, size, strength, and improve its overall appearance. Crowns encapsulate the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line, encompassing 360 degrees of the tooth above the gum line.
The Composition of Dental Crowns
Traditionally, crowns have been made from various materials, including ceramics, porcelain, gold, metal alloys, or a combination of these materials. At The Tooth Co. we believe in using a ceramic material known as Emax, as it best matches a tooth’s original physical qualities. Metal and zirconia often are too rigid and can lead to fracture of a tooth at some point after placement of one of these crowns.
Who Is an Ideal Candidate?
At our dental office in Irvine, we believe that dental crowns should only be recommended in extreme cases or only for the following circumstances:
- Protection of Very Structurally Compromised Teeth: Teeth weakened by decay, large fillings, or root canal treatment often require additional support that crowns provide.
- Restoration of Teeth with Existing Crowns: Crowns help in restoring broken or severely worn-down teeth with an existing crown.
The Tooth Co.’s Philosophy on Dental Crowns
At The Tooth Co., we emphasize the importance of preserving natural tooth structure. While crowns are a valuable treatment option for some situations, they are not always the first choice as they entail removal of extensive amounts of healthy tooth structure on various surfaces of a tooth. Our approach is to explore all minimally invasive alternatives before considering the placement of a crown. This philosophy ensures that patients of our dental office in Irvine, Newport Beach, and beyond receive care that prioritizes the health and longevity of their natural teeth.
The Crown Placement Process at The Tooth Co.
If a crown is necessary, our process involves careful planning and precision. The affected tooth is first prepared, and an scan is taken. Our dental lab then crafts the crown, ensuring it matches the color and shape of your natural teeth. We only work with Utah Valley Dental Lab for our posterior teeth, so we guarantee that all inlays, onlays, and crowns delivered to our patients will look like natural teeth. Once ready, the crown is securely fitted, providing a solution that is both durable and aesthetically pleasing.
Caring for Your Dental Crown
Maintaining a dental crown involves good oral hygiene practices. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups are essential. Avoid habits like chewing hard objects or ice to extend the life of your crown.
Minimally Invasive Alternatives to Dental Crowns
Before opting for a dental crown, consider these less invasive options:
- Dental Fillings: Small to moderate cavities can often be treated effectively with fillings, preserving more of the natural tooth structure.
- Inlays and Onlays: These are used when the damage is too extensive for a filling. Think of these as porcelain Lego pieces that fit into a defect rather than covering the entire tooth.
- Dental Bonding: For minor cosmetic changes on front teeth, bonding uses a tooth-colored resin applied to the tooth’s surface. Learn more about dental bonding here.
- Veneers: Thin porcelain shells that cover the front surface of teeth, ideal for addressing cosmetic concerns. Learn more about porcelain veneers here or learn about 3D printed veneers here.
We Offer Dental Crowns in Irvine!
At The Tooth Co., our commitment is to provide dental care that is both effective and conservative. While dental crowns are an essential aspect of restorative dentistry, they are part of a broader spectrum of treatments we offer. Our approach prioritizes your oral health, considering all available options to maintain the integrity of your natural teeth.
We invite you to explore the dental services we offer in Irvine and learn more about how we can help you achieve optimal dental health with a focus on minimally invasive treatments. If you are ready to schedule a consultation feel free to contact us today!